Screaming Eagles Scout Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 68 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:42 am
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» Pioneering - Bridges
Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 2:51 pm by Warloque

» Pioneering - Fun Structures
Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 1:19 am by Warloque

» Pioneering - Camp Gadgets and Miscellaneous
Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 12:49 am by Warloque

» Pioneering - Tables and Benches
Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 12:12 am by Warloque

» Pioneering - Gateway
Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 12:03 am by Warloque

» Pioneering - Tenting
Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 11:01 pm by Warloque

» Pioneering - Towers
Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 3:32 pm by Warloque

» Track and Trail
Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 3:20 pm by Warloque

» SEVaR Hall of Honour - by appointment
Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 2:53 pm by ChongHao

» SES Hall Of Honour
Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 2:53 pm by ChongHao

Top posting users this week
No user

Top posting users this month
No user

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Statistics
We have 168 registered users
The newest registered user is Neoh Tian Thao

Our users have posted a total of 13817 messages in 1769 subjects

Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World

Go down

Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World Empty Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World

Post  Warloque Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:17 pm

Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World

Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World Bp4

Growing up
The name of Baden-Powell is known and respected throughout the world as that of a man who in his 83 years led two separate and complete lives, one as a soldier fighting for his country, and the other as a worker for peace through the brotherhood of the Scout Movement.

Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell, known as B.P., was born at 6 Stanhope Street (now 11, Stanhope Terrace) Paddington, London on 22nd February 1857. He was the sixth son and the eighth of ten children of the Reverend Baden Powell, a Professor at Oxford University. The names Robert Stephenson were those of his Godfather, the son of George Stephenson the railway pioneer.

His father died when B.P. was only three years old and the family were left none too well off. B.P. was given his first lessons by his mother and later attended Rose Hill School, Tunbridge Wells, where he gained a scholarship for admittance to Charterhouse School. Charterhouse School was in London when B.P. first attended but whilst he was there it moved to Godalming in Surrey, a factor which had great influence later in his life.

He was always eager to learn new skills. He played the piano and the violin. He acted - and acted the clown too at times. While at Charterhouse he began to exploit his interest in the arts of scouting and woodcraft.

In the woods around the school B.P. would hide from his masters as well as catch and cook rabbits, being careful not to let tell-tale smoke give his position away. The holidays were not wasted either. With his brothers he was always in search of adventure. One holiday they made a yachting expedition round the south coast of England. On another they traced the Thames to its source by canoe. In all this Baden-Powell was learning the arts and crafts which were to prove so useful to him professionally.

B.P. was certainly not known for his high marks at school, as his end-of-term reports revealed. One records "mathematics - has to all intents given up the study", and another "French - could do well but has become lazy, often sleeps in school".

Nevertheless he took an examination for the Army and placed second among several hundred applicants. He was commissioned straight into the 13th Hussars, bypassing the officer training establishments. Later he became their Honorary Colonel.

Military Life
In 1876 he went to India as a young army officer and specialized in scouting, map-making and reconnaissance. His success soon led to his training other soldiers for the work. B-P's methods were unorthodox for those days; small units or patrols working together under one leader, with special recognition for those who did well. For proficiency, B.P. awarded his trainees badges resembling the traditional design of the north compass point. Today's universal Scout badge is very similar.

Later he was stationed in the Balkans, South Africa and Malta. He returned to Africa to help defend Mafeking during its 217-day siege at the start of the Boer war. It provided crucial tests for B.P.'s scouting skills. The courage and resourcefulness shown by the boys in the corps of messengers at Mafeking made a lasting impression on him. In turn, his deeds made a lasting impression in England.

Returning home in 1903 he found that he had become a national hero. He also found that the small handbook he had written for soldiers ("Aids to Scouting") was being used by youth leaders and teachers all over the country to teach observation and woodcraft.

He spoke at meetings and rallies and whilst at a Boys' Brigade gathering he was asked by its Founder, Sir William Smith, to work out a scheme for giving greater variety in the training of boys in good citizenship.

Beginnings of the Movement
B.P. set to work rewriting "Aids to Scouting", this time for a younger readership. In 1907 he held an experimental camp on Brownsea Island, Poole, Dorset, to try out his ideas. He brought together 22 boys, some from private schools and some from working class homes, and put them into camp under his leadership. The whole world now knows the results of that camp.

"Scouting for Boys" was published in 1908 in six fortnightly parts. Sales of the book were tremendous. Boys formed themselves into Scout Patrols to try out ideas. What had been intended as a training aid for existing organizations became the handbook of a new and ultimately worldwide Movement. B.P.'s great understanding of boys obviously touched something fundamental in the youth of England and worldwide.
"Scouting for Boys" has since been translated into more than 35 languages.

Without fuss, without ceremony and completely spontaneously boys began to form Scout Troops all over the country. In September 1908 Baden-Powell had set up an office to deal with the large number of enquiries which were pouring in.

Scouting spread quickly throughout the British Empire and to other countries until it was established in practically all parts of the world. It was abolished later in countries which became totalitarian (Scouting is essentially democratic and voluntary).

He retired from the army in 1910, at the age of 53, on the advice of King Edward VII who suggested that he could now do more valuable service for his country within the Scout Movement.

So all his enthusiasm and energy were now directed to the development of Boy Scouting and Girl Guiding. (Girl Guiding had started in 1909 when girls attended the first Scout rally at Crystal Palace in London and asked B.P. how they could become Scouts.) He travelled to all parts of the world, wherever he was most needed, to encourage growth and give the inspiration that he alone could give.

In 1912 he married Olave Soames who was his constant help and companion in all this work. They had three children (Peter, Heather and Betty). Olave Lady Baden-Powell was later known as World Chief Guide.

Chief Scout of the World

Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World Bp1

The first international Scout Jamboree took place at Olympia, London in 1920. At its closing scene B.P. was unanimously acclaimed as Chief Scout of the World.

Successive International gatherings, whether of Scouts or of leaders proved that this was not an honorary title, but that he was truly regarded by them all as their Chief. The shouts that heralded his arrival, and the silence that fell when he raised his hand, proved beyond any doubt that he had captured the hearts and imaginations of his followers in whatever country they lived.

At the third World Jamboree, held in Arrowe Park, Birkenhead, England, the Prince of Wales announced that B.P. would be given Peerage by H.M. the King. The news was received with great rejoicing. B.P. took the title of Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell. Gilwell Park was the international training Centre he had created for Scout leaders.

Scouting was not B.P.'s only interest. He enjoyed acting, fishing, playing polo and big game hunting. He was a very good artist, working in pencil and water-colours. He also had an interest in sculpting and making home movies.

B.P. wrote no fewer than 32 books. He received honorary degrees from at least six Universities. In addition, 28 foreign orders and decorations and 19 foreign Scout awards were bestowed upon him.

In 1938, suffering from ill-health, B.P. returned to Africa, which had meant so much in his life, to live in semi-retirement at Nyeri, Kenya. Even there he found it difficult to curb his energies, and he continued to produce books and sketches.

On January 8th, 1941, at 83 years of age, B.P. died. He was buried in a simple grave at Nyeri within sight of Mount Kenya. On his head-stone are the words "Robert Baden-Powell, Chief Scout of the World" surmounted by the Boy Scout and Girl Guide Badges. Lady Olave Baden-Powell carried on his work, promoting Scouting and Girl Guiding around the world until her death in 1977. She is buried alongside Lord Baden-Powell at Nyeri.

B.P.'s last message
B.P. prepared this farewell message* to his Scouts, for publication after his death:

"Dear Scouts - if you have ever seen the play "Peter Pan" you will remember how the pirate chief was always making his dying speech because he was afraid that possibly when the time came for him to die he might not have time to get it off his chest. It is much the same with me, and so, although I am not at this moment dying, I shall be doing so one of these days and I want to send you a parting word of good-bye.

Remember, it is the last time you will ever hear from me, so think it over.

I have had a most happy life and I want each one of you to have as happy a life too.

I believe that God put us in this jolly world to be happy and enjoy life. Happiness doesn't come from being rich, nor merely from being successful in your career, nor by self-indulgence. One step towards happiness is to make yourself healthy and strong while you are a boy, so that you can be useful and so you can enjoy life when you are a man.

Nature study will show you how full of beautiful and wonderful things God has made the world for you to enjoy. Be contented with what you have got and make the best of it. Look on the bright side of things instead of the gloomy one.

But the real way to get happiness is by giving out happiness to other people. Try and leave this world a little better than you found it and when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you have not wasted your time but have done your best. "Be Prepared" in this way, to live happy and to die happy- stick to your Scout Promise always when you have ceased to be a boy - and God help you to do it.

Your friend,
Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World Bpsig
Robert Baden-Powell"

*This message is undated but probably was written before 1929 because it was signed "Robert Baden-Powell" instead of "Baden-Powell of Gilwell". Lady Baden-Powell said that this letter, in an envelope addressed "to the Boy Scouts," along with other papers was always carried with them on their travels in an envelope marked "In the event of my death".

This fact sheet is adapted from one of the same name published by The Scout Association, United Kingdom.

In loving memory of Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell, Founder of the Scouting and Guiding Movements.

Lord Baden-Powell: Chief Scout of The World Bp
The man and his vision that changed the world
Warloque
Warloque
Admin

Number of posts : 1980
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down